Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Exchange » New Parts

Page 1 of 3 [ 52 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Brushed aluminum dash inserts and more
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:05 am 
Basic member

The Twisted Tree Design webstore is up and running: http://www.twistedtreedesign.com

Our initial product offering includes driver and passenger side dash and coin tray inserts available in both brushed aluminum and steel. In addition to the later style inserts, we have a very limited number of 74 - early 75 brushed aluminum dash inserts with the wiper control on the dash. This isn't a trim option that was offered by Ford so it is an opportunity to make your early II stand out from the rest.

We are also offering two different styles of Cobra grill bracket. The early style positions the Cobra a little higher on the grill (left). The late style positions the Cobra a little lower, basically centered vertically (right).

These brackets mount in place of the the running horse emblem on Mustang II grills. The brackets work with the metal louver snake that SSC Enterprises sells (http://www.sscenterprises.net/4images/d ... mage_id=27) and the late model plastic 2-3/4" tall Cobras that are common on eBay and elsewhere. Note that Cobra grill brackets are NOT a reproduction of the Ford parts.

The steel parts are raw steel and should be cleaned prior to applying the finish of your choice.

The webstore is very simple and designed with a PayPal shopping cart. If you have any issues with it or have questions about the above, please let me know: shawnmann@twistedtreedesign.com

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Brushed aluminum dash inserts and more
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:15 am 
Basic member

A couple of members have their inserts installed.

This set is painted and airbrushed steel:

And the stock aluminum set:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:51 pm 

What is the recommended adhesive to install the aluminum replacements? Also has anyone found something to remove the old glue? I have tried acetone and goo-gone. Still there and sticky! That's some good 70's stuff!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:49 am 
Basic member

Most people have reported good results with windshield adhesive or 3M Super 77 Spray adhesive.

In the second photo above, the owner used goo-gone and lots of elbow grease to remove the old adhesive. There is a thicker Goo-Gone gel on the market now that would cling better and it might need to stay on for some period of time to be most effective. I would think acetone would soften the plastic, I'd be careful with that. He used the 3M adhesive in the second picture above.

One owner told me that they planned on installing the new inserts right over the top of the old ones, which would probably work ok as long as the original insert wasn't warped and was stuck down really good. You'd have to decide the merits of that for yourself.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:36 pm 

Thanks for the advice, by the way the inserts look great and are top quality! I have only used the acetone on the coin tray because I was hoping to remove some loose chrome also, but no luck. Darn American quality chrome!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:36 am 
Basic member

The newly redesigned website is up and running: http://www.twistedtreedesign.com

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:12 am 
Basic member

Do you do any custom inserts? I have a Nordaz digital setup.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:50 pm 
Basic member

I just cut a bunch of customs and probably won't be cutting any more until I sell most of what I have because i have to buy a full 4 x 10 sheet of parts. Do you have a link to your setup? I've never heard of it before.

This is what I have right now for driver side customs:

If you want something in particular, it really is never to early to be thinking and talking about what you want.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:41 pm 

I like the customs, you should put them on twisted tree. I would have bought one of those instead had I known they were available. Question though, why all the small holes all the way around?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:27 pm 
Basic member

It took a while to get the customs to production. They went up Twisted Tree today along with the DIN radio plates:

Driver: http://www.twistedtreedesign.com/store2 ... ver-custom

Passenger: http://www.twistedtreedesign.com/store2 ... ger-custom

DIN radio plates: http://www.twistedtreedesign.com/store2 ... dio-plates

The small holes all the way around are for attaching the custom insert to the dash bezel. Most of the factory bezel is cut away (there really isn't much left aside from the perimeter). The custom insert is mounted to what's left of the bezel and the gauges mount to the insert. The custom inserts are almost twice as thick as the stock inserts. The whole assembly is quite sturdy when mounted in the dash.

The passenger side was created so that the style of the driver and passenger side would match.

There are some old pictures of my first dash located here: http://www.spacmann.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=735 (I'll get these moved when I get a photo gallery up and running on Twisted Tree)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:51 pm 

Would you happen to have any pix of the radio repair installed? I did not see any in the posted album that show it without a radio. Thanks-

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:14 pm 
Basic member

I'm not really very happy with the fit-up of the radio plates so I'm tweaking them a bit. I'll post some pictures up when I get something I'm satisfied with.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:06 am 
Basic member

Store is restocked with stock replacement parts: http://www.twistedtreedesign.com/store2 ... iver-stock

We have a bunch of new products as well:

http://www.twistedtreedesign.com/store2 ... ck/87-91-1

Interior: http://www.twistedtreedesign.com/store2 ... p/interior

Exterior: http://www.twistedtreedesign.com/store2 ... p/exterior

Radio Plates: http://www.twistedtreedesign.com/store2 ... dio-plates

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:07 pm 
Basic member

Sweet, I want a set of those Shelby style covers. Have you thought about welding tap to the back to make them as a replacement?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:06 pm 
Basic member

Not sure if I know what you mean Nigel.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:38 pm 
Basic member

You said that it is attached with two sided taped. The way I understood it is that you attach it to the existing grille. I would like to get rid of the existing one and just use yours.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:29 am 
Basic member

I've taken the Twisted Tree website down and moved the CAD files over to this site.

http://www.mustangiitech.org/index.php? ... Itemid=146

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:24 pm 
Basic member

I guess I should have ordered from you when I had the opportunity!

Well... I have a friend with a machine shop, and living in a large metropolitan area does have its advantages when it comes to procuring things... I've become used to supplying Bronco chromatic striping, and am considering pickup striping as well. Perhaps I will look into diversifying.

'78 King Cobra
'78 Rallye Appearance Package
'77 F-150 4x4
'79 F-150 Indy 500 Official Truck
'79 Bronco
'08 Shelby GT 500

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:15 pm 
Basic member

Help yourself Lance, the CAD files are all there for the taking and I can give you the aluminum supplier info as well.

It isn't easy though, the material is thin, lightweight and fragile. This complicates the whole process from cutting, handling and shipping.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:23 pm 
Basic member

The first sample has been cut by laser jet:

Yes, that is an AC version laying on top of a non-AC bezel. I asked him to cut the first sample as an AC driver's bezel since I have one with no insert to use for testing. I was surprised to get the sample this fast.
It is .020" aluminum sheet, laser cut just to check the programming, not brushed. Looks and feels great, minimal burring, less than I expected. We spent some time discussing whether to anodize before or after the laser cutting. The benefit of doing it beforehand is that it is cheaper, and there is less handling of the nearly finished product. The benefit of doing it afterwards is that all cuts will be sealed, allowing for longer lasting protection.
My take on that is that these pieces are generally protected from exposure to moisture and other contaminants, so the lack of an anodized surface along the edges shouldn't result in significant corrosion creeping into the finished surface. Plus, the edges are somewhat protected by the bezel itself once they are put in place. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on that?

We discussed powder coating, but I was warned that clear powder coat is notorious for turning yellow from UV exposure. I hadn't heard that, but was told it's a common complaint. I know that many wheels have at least a partial clear powder coating, and those get plenty of UV exposure...

The OEM pieces that I loaned him measured .015" thick. The estimate of thickness after brushing the aluminum is ~.017" thick, so very close to the original pieces. Even the .020" seems like it would work just fine as far as thickness.
Things are moving along. I don't think it will take long to have finished pieces ready to sell.

'78 King Cobra
'78 Rallye Appearance Package
'77 F-150 4x4
'79 F-150 Indy 500 Official Truck
'79 Bronco
'08 Shelby GT 500

Page 1 of 3 [ 52 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » The Exchange » New Parts